Solitaire ring: what does it mean and how to choose it
Many are the ring shapes that can be given in the expected marriage proposal, but the most used is the solitaire diamond ring. It has this name due to its metal ring with a single brilliant crimped in clutches, so it can shine even more. The stone normally used in a proposal is the diamond, thanks to its hardness, which symbolizes love strength and the engagement between the couple. However, there are other stones that can be used, such as ruby, emerald, or sapphire.
The use of engagement rings dates back to the time of ancient Egypt, but the use of a solitaire diamond was instituted by Maximilian I of Habsburg, when he proposed to Mary of Burgundy. The cut of this diamond was fabricated in Bruges. After centuries, in 1974, the solitaire diamond ring consolidates after the advertisement of the brand De Beers: “A diamond is forever”. And if you want to know what your ring size is, visit our blog.
And, although its main use is for the traditional proposal, this practice has extended in recent years, so you can use it regardless you are or not in a relationship. In this sense, let’s see more about how to choose the perfect solitaire ring, whether it is to wear it for a special occasion, or for that expected moment in women’s life.
How to choose a solitaire ring
When it comes to choosing a solitaire ring, you should consider some aspects, like the type of hand, couple’s style, diamond size, etc. Moreover, you can opt for a different stone if you want to give something unique and out of the ordinary.
Each diamond has its own characteristics that make it special and ideal. And these aspects are known as 4C of diamonds: color, clarity, cut, and carat. Each characteristic should be taken into account to choose the diamond of best quality.
All diamonds, despite their transparency, originally come with a light-yellow color. So, the clearer it is, more valuable and strange will be. In this way, to classify a diamond regarding its color, it is used a color table with measures in letters that goes from D, that indicates greater transparency, to Z, that classifies the diamond with a light-yellow color.
And, to design a solitaire ring, jewelers prefer that diamonds are colorless or near colorless, so the stone should be between letters D and F. Color is important because it gives better look to the diamond, and the more transparent it is, the more brilliant will be.
Clarity reflects the degree of purity of a diamond, and it can be measured by the imperfections or inclusions that jewelers can observe in the stone through a 10x approach with a magnifying glass. And a diamond is classified as perfect or flawless if it doesn’t have inclusions or exterior stains.
In clarity table, diamonds classified as FL – IF – VVS1 – VVS2 – VS1 – VS2 are the most recommended for a solitaire ring, since they have less inclusions or imperfections. And, remember that the clarity in a diamond will allow the light to reflect better, so if the clarity degree is low, it will look opaque.
When we talk about carat, we refer to the unit of weight measurement of diamonds. Its name is carat and its abbreviation is ct. Each diamond or stone is sold for its weight in carat, that’s why the price can increase depending on the weight more than the size, because, although one stone is the same size of another, the cut can vary and weight more being smaller. And each carat of diamond is equal to 0.20 gr.
At this point, it is important to remember that the carat of a diamond o any other stone is not equal to the carats of gold, since these refer to the purity of gold, and not to the weight.
The most important characteristic to choose a diamond is the cut, which allow the stone to shine more at the contact of light with cut facets. And to reflect well the light, the cut should be made carefully and correctly to not overshadow the diamond. This aspect gives bright and beauty to the stone.
Types of diamond cuts
Diamond is a stone of greater hardness and to carve it jewelers must use another diamond that helps to give a specific shape to the worked diamond. And to make solitaire engagement rings, there are different types of diamond cuts. Let’s see what they are:
- Brilliant cut: this diamond cut is the most traditional and used in solitaire rings. It has a round shape and has 57 or 58 triangular facets that allow to refract the light at multiple angles to give it more brightness. It is the most brilliant cut, and shows that you are honest, relaxed, traditional, and elegant.
And in our boutique Sophia Jewels, you can enjoy of the “Round Zirconia” ring, that has a zirconia in the center, with the same brilliant cut of an original diamond. The zirconia comes from the zirconium oxide, and it is a synthetic stone made in laboratory. It is a high-quality gem that imitates the shape and brightness of a real diamond.
- Princess cut: the second best-selling cut in a solitaire ring is the princess diamond, and is characterized by being the square version of the brilliant cut. Its angles are 90º well defined and it has 76 facets, making it a cut where the most of the stone is used, and shines just like a brilliant diamond. It says you’re a spontaneous, funny, and intelligent woman.
- Cushion cut: its shape comes from the princess cut, with the difference that it has rounded edges, which make it look as a cushion. Its facets are big and radiate a lot of light and purity. If you are a sweet, feminine, and thoughtful person, this cut is right for you.
- Emerald cut: this diamond has a rectangle shape and it is similar to the emerald shape. It has between 48 to 50 facets, what makes the light reflect less, but in a particular way. Its surfaces are flat and show a symmetrical shape, making it look like a sophisticated diamond with a vintage look. This emerald cut reflects especially the clarity of a diamond, and it says that you are a direct, elegant, and hardworking person.
- Pear cut: this diamond cut can be used, not only as solitaire rings, but also as charms, pendants, or earrings. This shape is not commonly used for engagement rings, but it would be a perfect option for giving an extravagant and unique touch. The most important thing is that the cut is uniform and symmetric to give the right brightness. The pear cut shows you are outgoing, optimist, and adaptable woman.
- Marquise cut: this cut characterizes by two pointed extremes, and makes the stone look like a little French boat called navette. It is not often used for solitaire rings, due to its unusual shape, but choosing a marquise cut will give a distinctive and luxurious touch to the jewel.
The solitaire ring is the favorite jewel for that special moment as it is the proposal, date in which a before and after is marked in the love story of a couple. The solitaire ring represents the strength, commitment, fidelity, and purity of a relationship. However, do not forget that you can also use a solitaire ring, even if you are not going to get married.